Karen Page and Andrew Dornenberg not only write must-own books like "The Flavor Bible" and "What to Drink with What You Eat," they're also killer radio guests (and they're also really good at convincing airport limo drivers to stop for In-n-Out Burger, but that's another story). They joined Emeril to talk about putting together holiday menus, from soup to Sauternes, and suggest edible gifts that are sure to please any recipient.
First holiday menu pairings: If you're serving...
- Turkey, pair it with Merlot, Riesling, or cranberry soda.
- Ham, pair it with an unoaked Chardonnay or a dry Riesling.
- Goose, pair it with Port, Pinot Noir, Merlot, or a spicy Rhone Valley red like a Cote-Rotie.
- Prime rib or roast beef, pair it with a big Cabernet or a Zinfandel.
- Pork tamales, pair them with Chardonnay if they're not spicy, off-dry Riesling if they are spicy, and either way a Negro Modelo or similar beer will work.
- Candy canes, pair them with hot cocoa!
The whole show replays Saturday at 10 a.m. ET, and you can tune in tomorrow to get all your holiday cooking questions answered live from 11 a.m. to noon ET when "Top Chef" winner and owner of Chicago's Girl & The Goat Stephanie Izard joins Emeril in studio.