I like drinking beer and watching football, but some of the friends I invite to my Super Bowl parties prefer sipping wine and commenting on the commercials. We can all come together over a batch of Zing Zang Bloody Marys, sure, but this year I'll also be picking up five bottles of wine I've tasted recently that will match my game day menu and definitely won't bust the pizza delivery budget. Every team's a winner.
- Guacamole + Sauvignon Blanc from Chile - Refreshingly tart and full of citrus flavors, a wine like the 2009 Veramonte Sauvignon Blanc Reserva ($8.99) is going to work well with the dip's creaminess and lime.
- Sliders + Zinfandel - Big, fruity Zinfandels go perfectly with rich Cheddar cheesey burgers, and Ravenswood Vintners Blend Zinfandel ($9.99) is always a great value.
- Wings + Brut Prosecco - Salty, fatty foods love bubbles, so a bottle of dry, slightly lemony Scu Dò NV Prosecco Brut ($8.96) will also go nicely with potato chips and nachos.
- Sausages + Salice Salentino - Sal-what? Well, that's why it's bargain. "sal EECH ay sal en TEE no" is an earthy, blackberry-smoky blend of native red grapes from the Southern Italian region of Puglia. Wines like the 2004 Sigillus Primus Salice Salentino Riserva ($6.96) go great with hearty meats.
- Pizza + Chianti - The classic house wine of pizzerias, its acid and cherry fruit meet tomato and cheese and live happily in your belly. The 2008 Loggia del Conte Chianti ($7.96) is a steal.
"On the Bottle" is a (brand new!) column about wine and spirits appearing every Friday on the Martha Stewart Living Radio blog. Email your boozy questions and wine quandries to email@example.com and they'll be answered in an upcoming post.