Pizza is the perfect dish for a meatless Monday. You can pile on as many vegetables as you like and you've got a one dish meal. While I've used shiitake mushrooms, any mushroom will do. If you're not a mushroom fan, swap in another vegetable such as bell peppers, eggplant, or sliced winter squash. You can make your own pizza dough, a whole-wheat version or simply get it at your local pizzeria or grocery store.
6 ounces shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
olive oil for grill pan
12 ounces zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise
1 medium onion, halved, and thickly sliced
1 pound pizza dough, thawed if frozen
3/4 cup grated Parmesan (about 3/4 ounce)
coarse salt and ground pepper
3 ounces mozzarella, cut into chunks
- Preheat the oven to 550. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Quickly rinse mushroom caps under water. Heat a grill pan over medium heat. Brush with olive oil. Cook mushrooms, until tender, turning them over as they get grill marks, about 5 minutes total. Transfer to a plate and when cool enough to handle, thinly slice.
- Grill zucchini and onion until both are tender, adding more oil to the pan if necessary and turning them over midway, about 5 minutes. When cool enough to handle, cut the zucchini in quarters crosswise.
- Divide the dough in half. Drape one half of the dough over both hands and then stretch to a 14 x 4-inch long piece of dough. Place on a baking sheet and repeat with remaining half of dough. Sprinkle the Parmesan over the dough.
- Divide the mushrooms, zucchini, and onion between the 2 sheets of dough. Season with salt, pepper, and thyme sprigs. Top with the mozzarella. Bake until the crust is crisp on the bottom and the cheese has melted, 10 to 12 minutes. Cut and serve.