This past Monday, Martha Stewart Living Radio launched a brand-new food program, "Cooking Today."
Taking the helm this week in the host seat, Michael Lomonaco, executive chef and partner at Porter House New York, invited his friends to join him on the show, and share their knowledge with you!
We covered all the bases! Pat LaFrieda stopped by to teach us about different cuts of beef, while Missy Robbins shared some of her favorite Italian recipes, and Mark Bittman told us how we could use root vegetables in our meatless and meat-filled meals.
And what better way to finish off the week than invite master mixologist, Dale DeGroff to share his cocktail suggestions for the Super Bowl?
Whiskey Punch Royale
1 liter Jamesons (or an Irish whiskey of your choice)
8 ounces Rainwater Madeira
1 liter spring water
8 to 10 ounces fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 cup granulated sugar
20 fresh firm lemons
Block of ice for your punch bowl (For a large group ice cubes are fine since the punch will be served out quickly.)
- Prepare oleo saccharin punch base with lemons, sugar & lemon juice and water three hours prior to serving.
- Remove the yellow rind of 6 very fresh and firm lemons and place the rinds in a mixing bowl. Pour the sugar over the rinds and pound with a kitchen pestle or cocktail muddler. Set aside for a couple hours and turn occasionally with a large spoon.
- Juice 10 ounces of fresh lemon juice
- After a couple hours the lemon oil from the rinds will be absorbed by the sugar turning it sticky and wet with oil. At that point pour in 8 ounces of fresh lemon juice and dissolve the sugar. Strain the liquid off the rinds into your punch bowl. Add the bottle of Irish whiskey and 8 ounces of Rainwater Madeira and the liter of spring water and stir. Adjust the sweet / sour with lemon juice and Madeira. Place the ice in the punch bowl and serve in punch cups or goblets over ice. Dust with grated nutmeg and serve.
More recipes after the jump.
Smoked Bloody Bull (Excellent with barbecue ribs)
1 1/2 ounces Absolut Peppar vodka
3 ounces Sacramento tomato Juice
3 ounces Campbell’s Beef Broth (don’t substitute for this ingredient it is concentrated and works well in the drink)
2 dashes Tabasco Sauce #4
pinch of cracked black pepper (do not use salt the beef broth is salty)
splash of fresh orange juice
orange peel garnish
- Assemble all the ingredients except the orange peel garnish in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake well.
Optional: Before serving flash smoke the mixture in the cocktail shaker with a chef’s smoke gun or Alladin counter top smoker. Strain into a large goblet or ice tea glass over ice cubes and garnish by twisting the orange peel over the drink and dropping it in the glass.
1 1/2 ounces Plymouth Gin
3/4 ounce Simple Syrup
3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
3 Dashes Angostura Bitters
Lemon wedge garnish
- Shake all ingredients with ice and strain into a rock or old fashioned glass. Garnish with a lemon wheel.
“Cooking Today,” is live each Monday, Wednesday, and Friday at 3 p.m. ET / 12 p.m. PT, on Sirius XM 110. Be sure to tune in Monday, February 6th as chef and restaurateur, Jonathan Waxman takes over the host’s chair! Here’s a sneak peak at his guests:
Anne Burrell – Food Network Personality & Chef, Co-Host “Worst Cooks in America”
Joey Campanaro – Chef/Owner The Little Owl
Topic: “What’s On Tap?” Wine lists, regions, and tasting
Hristo Zisovski - Beverage Director/Chief Sommelier of Ai Fiori