In the wake of Roger Federer’s record-breaking Wimbledon win last week, "Morning Living" hosted Katzie Guy-Hamilton, the executive pastry chef at New York Central at the Grand Hyatt. A recent 'cheftestant' on Bravo's Top Chef Just Desserts, chef Guy-Hamilton brought to the studio her newest creation, “Wimbledon Pie."
The "Wimbledon Pie" is a fruit and sweet cream-filled cake, held together with a crisp, buttery Scottish shortbread crust, a traditional European favorite. The recipe calls for strawberries, but because it is nearing the end of summer Katzie suggested using blueberries and peaches. This pie is perfect for parties, and can be baked and refrigerated the day before!
Katzie Guy-Hamilton, New York Central at the Grand Hyatt
Scottish Shortbread Crust Ingredients:
700 grams Butter, cold and cubed
300 grams Granulated Sugar
100 grams Confectioner’s Sugar
800 grams Pastry Flour
100 grams Ground Rice
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1. Combine above ingredients and paddle until smooth.
2. Roll out dough 1/8+ inch thick and form into a fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.
3. Blind bake without weights at 375° Fahrenheit until light golden.
*Note: The dough will shrink, but not to worry. Tap the dough with the bottom of a metal cup measure halfway through baking to keep room for filling.
2 pints Strawberries, quartered. (Reserve 4 strawberries for the top decoration)
2 tablespoons Orange Juice
1/4 cup sugar
1. Allow strawberries to macerate. Drain before using in pie filling.
Wimbledon Cream Filling:
8 ounces Cream Cheese
8 ounces White Chocolate
5 ounces egg whites
5 ounces sugar
3 sheets gelatin bloomed.
10 ounces Heavy Cream
1. Paddle cream cheese and stream in melted white chocolate.
2. In a separate bowl begin whipping egg whites on medium speed. Cook sugar in a saucepan with enough water to create wet sand. When the mixture reaches 235 degrees, add the bloomed gelatin and stream into the whipping whites.
3. Whip whites until stiff, and fold into the cream cheese mixture.
4. Whip the heavy cream until medium stiff peaks and fold into cream cheese mousse mixture.
5. Place mousse in the bottom of blind baked shell.
6. Pile on drained macerated strawberries. Top with the rest of the mousse.
7. Decorate with slices of strawberries and toasted sliced almonds.
8. Chill before cutting with a hot knife.