Last Tuesday, "Morning Living" welcomed Jeff Mahin, chef and partner at Santa Monica, California's Stella Rossa Pizza Bar. Stella Rossa features specialty pizzas exclusively using sustainable, locally-grown ingredients straight from the Santa Monica farmer’s market and other local purveyors. Jeff shared his artisanal take on a white pizza, giving us his recipe for “Shaved Fennel and Burrata Pizza”.
Shaved Fennel and Burrata Pizza
Jeff Mahin, Stella Rossa Pizza Bar
100o grams or 7 1/2 cups of bread flour, plus a little extra
720 grams or 3 cups water (58 degrees)
25 grams or 1 1/2 tablespoons salt
5 grams or 2 teaspoons of fresh yeast
- Using a digital scale, precisely measure out each ingredient.
- Set up your mixer with a dough hook, and place the water in the mixer.
- Place the remaining ingredients into the mixer and slowly start to mix together on a low speed until the dough starts to pull away from the sides of the bowl.
- Turn the mixer off and allow dough to rest for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, turn the mixer to medium high for 3 minutes – or until dough is shinny and elastic.
- In the meantime lightly coat a bowl with olive oil.
- Remove the dough from the mixer and place it in the oiled bowl. Allow to sit out for 1 hour at room temperature.
- Flour the surface of a counter and place the dough onto the floured surface.
- Cut the dough into 300 gram portions.
- Lightly oil 6 plastic quart containers and place one dough portion into one container and seal lid tight around the top.
- Place the dough into the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, pre heat the oven to 550 degrees with a pizza stone inside for at least 1 hour.
- Remove the containers of dough from the refrigerator, and allow the dough to rise to the top of the container.
- Carefully remove the dough and shape the pizza.
- Top the pizza with desired toppings and bake until golden brown.
1 pizza dough
2 ounces of crème fraiche
3 cups of thinly shaved fennel bulb
2 ounces shaved parmesan cheese
2 Tablespoons chopped rosemary
2 Tablespoons olive oil
3 ounces fresh burrata
5-6 leaves of fresh basil
1. Preheat the oven to 550 degrees
2. See instructions above for pizza stone
3. Shave the fennel with the use of a mandolin into cold water
3. Strain the fennel and set aside
4. Place the fennel into a medium size bowl and drizzle with the olive oil
5. Stretch out the pizza dough out to desired size (preferred 10-12 inches) and place onto a pizza
6. Peal dusted with fine corn meal.
7. Smear the crème fraiche over the base of the pizza
8. Spread the shaved parmesan cheese over the crème fraiche
9. Loosely spread the fennel over the pizza
10. Sprinkle with the hopped rosemary
11. Place in oven until golden brown, then remove with the pizza peal.
12. Before cutting the pizza, break up the burrata and place small pieces over the hot pizza.
13. Lay basil leaves over the pizza and drizzle with olive oil to taste.